Research > Online Resources > Internet Directories & Encyclopedias
- CIA World Factbook – Provides national-level information on countries, territories, and dependencies. Includes flags of the world and reference maps.
- CultureGrams – Discover the world with concise cultural and statistical snapshots of every country recognized by the United Nations -- from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Local experts document the unique, intimate details of each country's customs, traditions and daily life. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Encyclopedia of Chicago – Includes thousands of articles, photos and maps related to the history of Chicago’s industries, people, culture, sports, surrounding cities and towns, politics and more.
- Encyclopedia.com – Comprehensive online encyclopedia and database of over 51,000 entries from over 100 encyclopedias and dictionaries.
- Excite – Personalization Web portal, featuring subject listings, search, content and functionality.
- Information Please – A mega-reference site that includes facts on thousands of subjects. Includes almanacs, dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas thesaurus, and homework center.
- The Internet Archive – is a non-profit digital library which offers permanent storage and access to collections of digitized materials, including websites, music, moving images, and books.
- Internet Movie Database – News source for information on all aspects of film – actors, directors, etc.
- ipl2 – Searchable and annotated subject directory of Internet resources selected and evaluated by librarians.
- Librarians Internet Index – Publicly funded, “You can search and browse the website for the best of the Web. There are over 20,000 entries, maintained by librarians and organized into 14 main topics and nearly 300 related topics.”
- Library Spot – Library and reference resources, including top dictionaries, encyclopedias, newspapers, maps, quotations, and more.
- Old Farmer's Almanac – Info on the weather, gardening, astronomy, food, and the outdoors.
- OnlineConversion.com – A collection of interactive sites that estimate, evaluate, calculate, and translate.
- RefDesk.com – A myriad of news, weather, sports, reference, encyclopedias, leading news stories, and more.
- SIRS Researcher – Full-text articles and Internet resources providing relevant information on social issues, science, history, government, the arts and humanities. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- The Quotations Page – Over 26,000 quotations online from over 3,100 authors, and more are added daily. Includes links to other quotations sites.
- Wikipedia – Free encyclopedia that anyone can edit, with convenient links between topics, includes bibliographies.
- World Book Encyclopedia – Contains every article from the 22-volume encyclopedia print set plus thousands more. Includes state-of-the-art multimedia, editor-reviewed websites, and more. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
Inclusion of resources or references to them does not constitute or imply endorsement or support by the Warrenville Public Library District or its employees. The Library does not make warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information from these resources.