Book Reviews, Summaries & More
- BookPage - An online magazine for selected fiction and nonfiction reviews. Includes archives.
- Bookslut - A monthly web magazine and daily blog dedicated to those who love to read. Includes news, reviews, commentary, insight and opinions.
- BookSpot - A resource center for book-related websites. Content includes genres, bestseller lists, book reviews and author info. Also contains a "Young Adult Books" section, as well as a "Book Discussion Center" for online and offline book discussions.
- NextReads – Sign up for NextReads, free eMail newsletters of "great reads" for adults, youth and teens, or peruse back issues.
- NoveListPlus - A comprehensive database that provides reviews, annotations, and more for over 120,000 fiction titles. Includes author read-alikes, book discussion guides, book talks, and feature articles. Also includes tools for school media specialists and teachers. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Oprah’s Books-Look up titles and authors of books featured on the show by date. Read exclusive essays by Oprah's Book Club authors or watch video from their discussions.
- What's Next - Provides the sequence of books in a series.
- Amazon's Free Kindle Collection
- Archive.org - More than three million books, speeches, documents, and other works.
- Baen Free Library - Baen, publisher of military science fiction and epic fantasy titles, offers a number of their books for free download.
- Barnes & Noble's Free Nook Collection
- LibriVox - free public domain audiobooks read by volunteers from around the world
- Online Books Page from the University of Pennsylvania Library - A librarian-curated archive of more than a million works free for personal, noncommercial use.
- OpenLibrary - a project to create a comprehensive, open library for the world, with many ebooks available for checkout.
- Project Gutenberg - Birthplace of the free eBook, Project Gutenberg offers over 39,000 free eBooks in all formats.
- Smashwords - Original works by independent authors.
- Turning the Pages from the British Library - Virtual books from the archives of the British Library, including medieval illuminated texts and manuscripts by Jane Austen and Lewis Carroll.
- Alibris Used Book Store Online - Find 60 million new & used books, used textbooks, out-of-print books, rare books & college textbooks from 8000 rated bookstores.
- Amazon.com - Includes editorial reviews, glimpses into the book and product information.
- Anderson's Bookshop - The website of an independent bookseller located in Naperville and Downers Grove, IL. The site features events, reading lists and a teacher's corner.
- Barnes & Noble - Search fiction, nonfiction and children's books by genre.
- Powells - Powell's Books is the largest independent used and new bookstore in the world. It carries an extensive collection of out of print, rare, and technical titles.
- The Poisoned Pen - This site is published by an independent book seller, focuses on mystery book lists, mystery conferences, and award lists. For a fee, readers can subscribe to their newsletter.
- The Romance Reader - This sister site to The Mystery Reader also includes book reviews, author information and features about romance.
- Smart Bitches, Trashy Books - Reviews of romance (and other) novels, featuring content warnings and sortable by heat level.
- Stop, You're Killing Me! - This site for mystery readers is organized alphabetically by author and character. Entries contain links to author websites and lists new books and series titles with publication dates. Each title is linked to Amazon.com.
Online Speculative Fiction Magazines
- Apex Magazine - Offering science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories from the top pros in the field.
- Clarkesworld - Offers both text and podcast fiction.
- Escape Pod - A weekly podcast magazine offering .mp3 recordings of new speculative fiction stories.
- Fantasy Magazine - Publishes daily articles and regular new fiction in the fantasy and surrealism genres.
- StarShipSofa - Regular mp3 podcasts of new short fiction. Nominated for the 2010 Best Fanzine Hugo.
- Strange Horizons - A digital magazine which has been publishing online since 2000; new free content is published weekly.
- Subterranean Press - The digital branch of the magazine and publisher offers regular new short fiction and extensive archives.