Book – I’m so glad we added the adorable, simple, feel-good book for plant addicts, Crazy Plant Lady by Isabel Serna to our library collection. As a Crazy Cactus Lady, I 100% relate to, and appreciate, the comics and characterization of the obsessive gardener.
Serna defines “Crazy Plant Lady” as:
- A woman who has an insane, almost addictive love for plants.
- A woman who has 10 or more plants and gives them names, talks to them, and thinks of them as her children.
- A woman who finds pure happiness in her plants.
To which I would respond:
- Yes, I have been called a crazy plant lady (which is really more of a compliment).
- Currently, I have more than 25 succulents and cacti. My big ole’ spiky Golden Barrel Cactus is named Chunk. I’ve read that plants respond well to positivity and encouragement (I think Ikea experimented being kind vs. mean to plants). They are my little fuzzy, spiky, leafy family.
- There’s nothing like watching your plants grow, propagate their leaves and watch their babies start anew. I love to spread the joy and often coerce my family to come and see the newest little fuzzball propagate on my “Bunny Ear” Cactus.
The illustrations in this book are so bright and colorful, each page detailing new insight into the life and habits of a crazy plant lady, a page-turner for every plant lover.